The Gardens of Trauttmansdorff Castle
Art and nature have been blending since 2001 at the Gardens of Trauttmansdorff Castle, set in a natural amphitheatre on the eastern outskirts of Merano, with more than 80 garden landscapes from around the world and several unique Experience Stations, including ten Artist Pavillions and a spectacular viewing platform designed by star architect Matteo Thun, in addition to attractions the Botanical Underworld and a „Lovers’ Garden“.
For this gorgeous picture and the innovating spirit that lies behind its conception, Trauttmansdorff was named Italy’s Most Beautiful Garden in 2005 and Europe’s No. 6 Garden in 2006. Its subsequent crowning as International Garden of the Year in 2013 launched this unique complex in the firmament of world’s most beautiful gardens and parks.
In 2020, biodiversity will reign supreme at the Gardens of Trauttmansdorff Castle. In keeping with the theme of “Diversity,” the Gardens will be showing how important biological diversity is for humanity, animals and plants.
Trauttmansdorff Castle sits enthroned in the centre of the gardens: this imposing structure, where Empress Elisabeth would come to stay during the winter, now houses the South Tyrol Museum of Tourism, a.k.a. Touriseum.
Planned opening hours (latest admittance always an hour and a half before closing time):
- May 29th - July 23rd: open daily from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.;
- July 24th - August 14th: from Saturday to Thursday 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.; on Fridays 9 a.m. - 11 p.m.
- August 15th - October 15th: open daily from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. (latest admittance at 5.30 p.m.);
- October 16th - 31st: open daily from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.;
- November 1st - 15th: open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
2020 Entrance Fees – Gardens and Touriseum
- Adults*: €11.00
- Seniors (age 65 and up)*: €11.00
- Juniors (from 6 to 18 years), visitors with Disabilities, students (up to age 28)*: €11.00
- Groups - minimum 15 persons (per person)*: €11.00
- Family (2 adults with children up to 18 years)*: €24.00
- Mini Family (1 adult with children up to 18 years)*: €13,00
- Children (up to 6 years): free
- School Groups (per student, by reservation only): €3.50
- Late-Autumn (1/11 to 15/11, children under 18 free): €8.50
- Mini-Season Pass (transferable – valid for 3 days in one garden season): €33.00
- Mini Family Season Pass (transferable - valid for 3 days within one garden season): €75.00
- Season Pass (non transferable): €65.00
Tickets indicated with (*) may also be purchased online.