Tyrol Castle is the most historically significant castle in South Tyrol. Its origins stretch back into the late 11th century.
Since 2003 Tyrol Castle has housed the South Tyrolean Museum of History. Its main focus is the history of the province from its beginnings to modern times.
The oldest structural elements can be found in church excavations in the outer bailey (three building phases, three-apse chamber from the 9th century). The south palace contains the two Romanesque portals. The two-storey castle chapel is dedicated to St. Pancras and is famous for its gothic frescoes. What is believed to be the wedding chamber of Countess Margarethe of Tyrol, known as Maultasch (literally “bag mouth”), is situated in the Mushaus. The keep, which was only completed after 1902, now houses an exhibition of the history of the 20th century depicted over twenty separate levels. The historic estate buildings house special exhibitions.
Along the Bolzano/Bozen-Meran/Merano expressway to the exit Meran South-Sinich/Sinigo - Dorf Tirol/Tirolo - along the main street to the car park beside the Clubhouse. From there on foot along the Falkner Promenade and Schlossweg road to Tyrol Castle.
Former seat of the Counts of Tyrol & the most historically important castle in South Tyrol. Home to the Museum of Culture & History.