The Laubengasse was built during the 13th century at the behest of Count Meinhard II of Tyrol. It is a 400 metre-long sequence of arcades, supported by masonry columns, connecting Pfarrplatz square with Kornplatz square.The façades date from various periods and are enriched by different carved decorations. Until 1913 the Lauben were not interrupted as today by the crossroads between Galileistrasse and Sparkassenstrasse and were therefore the longest arcades in the whole Tirol.
The Laubengasse is the road running under the portici and has been the business core for local tradesmen since the Middle Ages. In the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, the mint was right in the front of the Cathedral, where the road itself ended. The best shops in town are located under these arcades.