Castles and Churches in Tirolo
Architectural remnants of Tyrolean history
Significant secular structures in Tirolo/Dorf Tirol include Auer Castle, Thurnstein Castle, and Zenoburg Castle, all former residences of the local nobility. Various historical churches of interest include St. John the Baptist, St. Peter, and St. Rupert churches.
Auer Castle was built as a closed medieval fortress without the characteristic towers, enclosing several mercantile and residential buildings inside a pointed perimeter wall. Except during the Tiroler Kulturfrühling (cultural spring) festival concerts, the stonewall edifice remains closed to the public.
Strategically positioned on the Jaufenpass mountain pass, Zenoburg Castle was enlarged in the 12th century by Meinhard II. With its chapel consecrated by St. Zeno, the castle was the formal residence of the Counts of Tyrol until 1347, when it was destroyed and subsequently fell into decay and ruin. Purchased in 1800 and renovated by Leopold von Braitenberg, to this day it remains the property of his heirs. The castle is closed to the public.
Surrounded by vineyards, Thurnstein Castle under the Mutspitze summit was built in 1478 and was enlarged several times over the years. Today it operates as a hotel and restaurant.