St. John the Baptist Parish Church
Documents mentioning St. John the Baptist Parish Church date back to 1164, although it existed long before (probably as a baptistery for the region), so it has already reached a venerable age. The Parish Church of Dorf Tirol/Tirolo is considered to be the oldest missionary church dedicated to St. John the Baptist in the area. The original Romanesque church (its tower is still preserved today) was eventually extended to include a Late Gothic choir.
One of the most interesting features of the church is the baptismal font of white Laas marble. The organ, with its large number of antique wooden and metal pipes is also a remarkable masterpiece from an artistic and historical point of view. The neo-Gothic high altar, bishop’s figures, statue of St. John above the baptismal font, oil paintings and crucifixion group are other works of art that are well worth seeing.
Among other things, Secco paintings from the year 1480 were brought to light by the renovation work on the Parish Church in 1969/70.
Along the Bolzano-Merano expressway to the Merano South/Sinigo exit - Dorf Tirol/Tirolo - along the main street to the car park beside the Clubhouse. From there on foot along the main street to the beginning of the Schlossweg road, where the church is located.
The parish church of Dorf Tirol has been consecrated to John the Baptist and is considered to be the oldest missionary church dedicated to St. John the Baptist in the area.
Bus line 221: Meran - Dorf Tirol
Bus line 222: Segenbühel - Tiroler Kreuz
Paid car park beside the Clubhouse