This panoramic trail with far-reaching views of the Dolomites is an easy yet spectacular hike that leads from the summit station of the Meran 2000 Cable Car to the high-elevation Mittager Hütte Mountain Hut. Even the area around the Dolomites and Mount Ortler and the Texel Mountains are visible from here.
The trail runs from Piffing along trail no. 3 past Waidmannalm Alp Inn and along the most beautiful part of the plateau to Mittager Hütte. The walk from Piffing to Mittager Hütte takes about 2 hours and 10 minutes; the altitude differential is about 500 metres. It is also possible to take a leisurely hike from Falzeben or Piffing to Kirchsteiger Alm Mountain Hut and then take the lift up to Mittager Hütte Mountain Hut.
For the return trip, there are some different options. A trail leads from Mittager Hütte Mountain Hut to the Meraner Hütte and Rotwand Hütte Mountain Huts and then to Piffing or from the Mountain Huts Rotwandhütte to Zuegg Hütte and then to Falzeben. Another option is to start at Mittager Hütte and head towards Maiser Alm and Moschwald Alm Mountain Huts, and on to Falzeben.
Description to arrive at destination
Coming from both directions of the freeway Meran/Merano - Bolzano/Bozen (MEBO), take the exit of Meran Süd/Merano Sud and follow directions towards Meran first, to then turn right towards Hafling/Avelengo
Two possibilities to reach the summit station:
- parking place in Naiftal/Val di Nova in Meran, ascent with the Meran 2000 funicular
- parking place in Falzeben in Hafling/Avelengo, ascent with the Falzeben cable car
- Free parking area in Naiftal at the valley station of the Merano 2000 funicular
- Parking area in Falzeben, on charge
Valley station of the Meran 2000 funicular/Naiftal:
Valley station of the Falzeben Cable Car:
- Bus no. 225 "Meran - Hafling - Falzeben"
- Bus no. 204 "Hafling - Vöran - Mölten - Terlan - Bozen" (until Hafling Dorf, than change to busline no. 225)
You'll find the time table on the site: www.suedtirolmobil.info/en/