Climbing the Ochsentod Steig Trail to the Vigiljoch: demanding excursion with start in the center of Marling.
The route climbs uphill to Gasthaus Waalheim on the Marling Waalweg trail via path no. 33. The Waalweg leads toward Lana and to Lebenberg Castle along path n. 33 B up to Jausenstation Hoferhof, where simple snacks can be purchased. The steep Ochsentod Steig trail begins here. It crosses two forestry tracks and then leads into the Eggersteig trail, which is signposted path no. 31. The route continues along the Eggersteig to Gasthaus Eggerhof, from where it descends initially along path no. 9 and then path no. 35 back to Marling.
description to arrive at destination
From Meran/Merano or the valley Vinschgau/Val Venosta to the centre of Marleng.
On the public car parks in the center of Marling/Marlengo (next to the fire brigade and in the Traubenwirt's park) can be parked for free for 120 minutes (with parking ticket!). For a longer parking time parking tickets can be solved (0,50 € / hr), whereby two hours are always free.
The bus line 212 stopps directly in the centre of Marling/Marlengo
Good to know:
- emergency call 112
- weather report: weather.provinz.bz.it
- timetable: www.suedtirolmobil.info/en
5 hiking rules:
- Every tour should be planned carefully and should correspond to one’s individual physical condition
- Equipment must be the right size. You should have sturdy footwear, a weatherproof rucksack, sun protection, warm and windproof clothing.
- Avoid walking too fast. The tempo should be determined by the slowest member of your company.
- Do not stray from the market trails.
- Keep the mountains clean! Please take all your refuse back down with you.
No special equipment is necessary. However, suitable hiking clothes, mountain boots and sufficient drinking are required.