The Gardens of Trauttmansdorff Castle
Art and nature have been blending since 2001 at the Gardens of Trauttmansdorff Castle, set in a natural amphitheatre on the eastern outskirts of Merano, with more than 80 garden landscapes from around the world and several unique Experience Stations, including ten Artist Pavillions and a spectacular viewing platform designed by star architect Matteo Thun, in addition to attractions the Botanical Underworld and a „Lovers’ Garden“.
For this gorgeous picture and the innovating spirit that lies behind its conception, Trauttmansdorff was named Italy’s Most Beautiful Garden in 2005 and Europe’s No. 6 Garden in 2006. Its subsequent crowning as International Garden of the Year in 2013 launched this unique complex in the firmament of world’s most beautiful gardens and parks.
From the magnificent blooming of thousands of tulips to the enrapturing colours of fall foliage in November, these gardens delight guests the whole year through even with musical and culinary highlights, as for instance the “imperial” brunches, called Breakfast at Sissi’s, or the top-class world music of the evocative Garden Nights series, the Friday evenings in summer that last until 11 p.m.
Trauttmansdorff Castle sits enthroned in the centre of the gardens: this imposing structure, where Empress Elisabeth would come to stay during the winter, now houses the South Tyrol Museum of Tourism, a.k.a. Touriseum.
Opening hours (latest admittance always an hour and a half before closing time – apart from June, July and August: latest admittance at 9.30 p.m.):
- April 1st – October 15th: 9 a.m. – 7 p.m.;
- October 16th – 31st: 9 a.m.-6 p.m.;
- November 1st – 15th: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.;
- on Fridays in June, July and August: 9 a.m. – 11 p.m.
*For the “World Music Festival” concerts (Evenings in the Gardens) the closing time is at 5 p.m; eventually, admittance only with concert tickets.
2020 Entrance Fees – Gardens and Touriseum
- Adults: €14.00
- Family (2 adults with children up to 18 years): €30.00
- Mini Family (1 adult with children up to 18 years): €16,00
- Children (up to 6 years): free
- Seniors (age 65 and up): €11.00
- Juniors (from 6 to 18 years), visitors with Disabilities, students (up to age 28): €11.00
- Groups - minimum 15 persons (per person): €11.00
- School Groups (per student, by reservation only): €3.50
- Summer Nights (Fridays from June to August, starting at 6 p.m.): €8.50
- Late-Autumn (1/11 to 15/11, children under 18 free): €8.50
- Mini-Season Pass (transferable – valid for 3 days in one garden season): €33.00
- Mini Family Season Pass (transferable - valid for 3 days within one garden season): €78,00
- Season Pass (non transferable): €90.00