The name Schenna/Scena first appears in documents in the 12th century. It is of Romanesque origin and it is assumed that, just like the word scene, it is derived from the Latin word for stage or setting, scaene. Schenna was already inhabited as early as in Roman times, which is indicated not least by discoveries of antique coins. However, more recent research locates Schenna already in pre-Roman, Rhaetian times. Since the Middle Ages, the actual history of Schenna is, however, closely connected with the history of its castle.
In the 12th century, the Lords of Schenna were brought to the fore in Tyrol’s history, as ministers of the Counts of Tyrol. The local ruler gave permission to one of the most powerful aristocrats in this area, Petermann von Schenna, possession of Schenna Castle and modified it to its current form. The castle changed ownership time and again. In 1844, the castle was acquired by Habsburg Archduke Johann. Since then, it has been in the ownership of his descendants who occupy it.
To this day, the inhabitants of Schenna therefore are wearing their time-honoured traditional costume not only on the occasion of ceremonious processions, but also for mass on Sundays and other special days such as Palm Sunday, Easter or the Sacred Heart of Jesus Sunday. Here, in the heart of Tyrol, customs are cultivated. History and traditions are alive. Many residents are also active in charitable associations, including the village band, theatre or sports club; or also as volunteers in supporting culture or heritage and the volunteer fire department. To be present is a matter of honour, participation is self-evident.