Bad Egart Chapel was built in the 18th century and is dedicated to Our Lady Mary. The little church is located in the Töll area and belongs to the oldest spa in Tyrol, Bad Egart. The history of the Egart health spa appears to go back to Roman times.
Bad Egart was once among the best-known health spas in the vicinity of the spa town of Meran. In the past, only renowned spas also had a chapel. For this reason, the owner in those days, Joseph Joachim von Wolfenthal zu Spauregg und Gaudententurm had a chapel built for his guests during the renovation of the bathhouse in 1730.
It is worth noting that the original clock mechanism of the tower clock from the church in Lake Reschen/Resia (dated 1723) can now be found inside the chapel. Today the church tower in Lake Reschen is a landmark bearing silent witness to the flooded village of Alt-Graun im Vinschgau, which was inundated in 1950 to create the reservoir. In addition to countless sacred objects, the chapel also holds a collection of guardian angels belonging to the present owner, Karl Platino, better known as Onkel (Uncle) Taa.
Today the little spa church is a pilgrimage chapel. Over the years, many visitors have written down their wishes and thoughts in letter form. The chapel is also believed to help reconcile separated couples.
The structure of Bad Egart chapel was altered in 1926 and renovated at the end of the 20th century in keeping with the wishes of Karl Platino. It is a protected monument.
Opening times: see Restaurant / Museum Bad Egart / Onkel Taa opening times.