Parish Church of St. John
The Parish Church of Hafling, which is first mentioned in documents dating from 1291, is dedicated to John the Baptist. The walls of the nave date from the same period while the Gothic chancel and tower, which can still be seen today, were added in the second half of the fifteenth century.
The rededication took place on June 11th, 1469. In the seventeenth century, a barrel vault replaced the flat wooden ceiling. Of particular note is the remarkably large mural depicting St. John the Evangelist, which dates to around 1600. In the chancel arch, there is a precious fresco by Karl von Blaas. A few sculptures from the eighteenth century grace the church as well.
The porphyry relief on the outside of the cemetery chapel, now the vestry, is a mystery. It depicts a man, a tree, a flower, and a wheel-shaped ornament. The enigmatic relief is often associated with an agrarian devotion to the sun, but a precise interpretation has yet to be firmly established.
Coming from both directions of the freeway Meran - Bozen (MEBO), take the exit of Meran Süd/Merano Sud and follow directions towards Meran first, to then turn right towards Hafling/Avelengo, follow the street until the parking lot in Hafling Dorf (below the parish church).
With the bus until the bus stop "Hafling Dorf":
- Bus no. 225 "Meran - Hafling - Falzeben/Vöran"
- Bus no. 156 "Hafling - Vöran - Mölten – Jenesien"
You'll find the time table on the site: www.sii.bz.it/en.
Parking area in Hafling Dorf/Avelengo paese, on charge (under the parish church)