St. Oswald Church
The St. Oswald Church is situated on 2,365 metres in the hiking and skiing area of Meran 2000.
In 1641, the farmers of Avelengo/Hafling swore to edify Oswald as the patron saint of cattle and grazing, by building a chapel at the foot of the mount Ifinger and processing there on his name-day festival. The old chapel existed for almost 250 years at the original site, until a new building was erected in 1879.
Even today, there is a procession to the chapel every 5th of August, which is St. Oswald’s Day, with an open-air mass and a related church holiday. Many of the devoted from the surrounding area flock up to services at the little mountain church and pray for nice weather and good health for the cattle, for which Oswald serves as patron saint.
Coming from both directions of the freeway Meran - Bozen (MEBO), take the exit of Meran Süd/Merano Sud and follow directions towards Meran first, to then turn right towards Hafling/Avelengo
Two possibilities to reach the summit station:
- parking place in Naiftal/Val di Nova in Meran, ascent with the Meran 2000 funicular
- parking place in Falzeben in Hafling/Avelengo, ascent with the Falzeben cable car
From the summit station follow the trails no. 3 and 19A to the church (about 1 hour).
Valley station of the Merano 2000 funicular/Naiftal:
- Bus no. 1/1A
Valley station of the Falzeben Cable Car:
- Bus no. 225 "Meran - Hafling - Falzeben/Vöran"
- Bus no. 156 "Hafling - Vöran - Mölten - Jenesien"
You'll find the time table on the site: www.sii.bz.it/en
- Parking area in Falzeben, on charge (day-ticket € 4,00 for car)
- Free parking area in Naiftal at the valley station of the Merano 2000 funicular