South Tyrol and the holiday area of Merano and Environs are considered a land of castles and palaces. There are two highly impressive castles in Naturno/Naturns alone, both of which are privately owned: Hochnaturns Castle, which looms majestically over the village and Dornsberg Castle situated between Naturno and Plaus.
The following castles and mansions can be visited in the area:
- Churburg Castle in Sluderno/Schluderns boasts the largest private collection of arms and armor in Europe
- Kastelbell Castle features a courtyard, old kitchen, castle chapel and the residential wing of the former count family
- The Prince’s Castle in Merano/Meran,
- Tyrol Castle in the village of Tirolo/Dorf Tirol as the former ancestral castle of the Counts of Tyrol, which today houses the South Tyrol Museum of Cultural and Provincial History
- The Castle of the Counts of Merano features an armory, drawing room and picture gallery
- Lebensberg Castle in Cermes/Tscherms, one of the most beautiful residences in Merano and Environs.