The European Long-Distance Hiking Trail E5 leads from the Atlantic Coast to the Adriatic Sea. One of the safest and most beautiful sections is from Meran 2000 to Jenesien/San Genesio.
The starting point for this stage is the Kirchsteiger Alm Mountain Hut (1,945m) or the Meraner Hütte Mountain Hut (1,960 m) on Meran 2000. Following the Long Distance Hiking Trail E5 – marked no. 4, the ascent leads first up to the Spieler and the Kreuzjöchl plateaus and snakes its way up to the highest point of the hike at 2,086 m. A viewing platform provides a 360° panorama of the surrounding Dolomites, the Sarntal Alps, the Texelgruppe and Brenta mountain ranges, and the Ortler region. Continue further across the plateau towards the Auener Jöchl and then down to the Möltner Kaser Mountain Hut. The descent is via the Möltner Joch plateau to Schermoos. Follow the E5 signs across the Salten meadow of larches to Jenesien.
Can also be done in winter with the appropriate equipment (good shoes, snowshoes ...).
description to arrive at destination
Coming from both directions of the freeway Meran/Merano - Bolzano/Bozen (MEBO), take the exit of Meran Süd/Merano Sud and follow directions towards Meran first, to then turn right towards Hafling.
Two possibilities to reach the summit station:
- parking place in Naiftal/Val di Nova in Meran, ascent with the Merano 2000 funicular
- parking place in Falzeben in Hafling, ascent with the Falzeben cable car
From the summit station of the cable car follow way no. 18A to the starting point.
- Parking area in Falzeben, on charge (day-ticket € 4,00 for car)
- Free parking place at the valley station of the Meran 2000 cable car
Valley station of the Meran 2000 funicular/Naiftal:
Valley station of the Falzeben Cable Car:
- Bus no. 225 "Meran - Hafling - Falzeben"
- Bus no. 204 "Hafling - Vöran - Mölten - Terlan - Bozen" (until Hafling Dorf, than change to busline no. 225)
You'll find the time table on the site: www.suedtirolmobil.info/en/