Merano and Environs FAQ
Frequent questions and answers about Merano and Environs in South Tyrol
In 2014 a local tax was introduced in South Tyrol. The revenue from this tax will be used for the expansion and maintenance of local infrastructure and services, as well as for the organization of various cultural and sports events.
The local tax will be levied at all lodging establishments, on a per-guest and per-overnight-stay basis. The amount is contingent upon the category of the establishment. Children and adolescents under 14 years of age are exempt from levy.
The local tax is payable upon departure and is listed separately on the invoice.
Dogs may accompany you on all hikes; they should, however, be kept on a leash out of consideration for the other animals. This is, in fact, the law.
Only the Brandis Waalweg in Lana is easily accessible with a stroller. It is about 3.5 km long.
The apple trees in Merano and environs bloom between late March and late April. The timing depends very much on the weather and the temperatures.
The first varieties such as Gala are harvested from mid-August. In September and October there is the most intensive activity of the apple harvest. The late variety Pink Lady is harvested up to early November.
Törggelen parties – a local tradition featuring the season’s new wine, hearty local food and roasted chestnuts – begin taking place in early October and continue until mid-November.
- Single ticket: Valid for one journey and one person only. Advantage: when taking the bus only once or twice.
- Value card: Available for € 10, € 25 and € 50. Valid for two years until used up. Advantage: Journeys are less expensive compared to single tickets and several people can use the same card.
- Weekly card BusCard Meran
& surroundings: Non transferable. Advantage: valid for 7 consecutive days for all public buses in Merano and surroundings.
- Mobilcard South Tyrol
: Non transferable. Advantage: available for either on 1, 3 or 7 consecutive days for all public transport (buses, trains and ropeways) in South Tyrol.
(mobility and museums)
- Bikemobil Card
(mobility and bike rental)
- One-way ticket to Merano € 1.50
- BusCard Merano and surroundings for 7 days: € 16
- Value cards available for € 10, € 25 and € 50
- Mobilcard South Tyrol for 1 day: € 20 for adults / € 10 for children (from the age of 6 to under 14 years)
- Mobilcard South Tyrol for 3 days: € 30 for adults / € 15 for children (from the age of 6 to under 14 years)
- Mobilcard South Tyrol for 7 days: € 45 for adults / € 22.50 for children (from the age of 6 to under 14 years)
- Value cards: all around South Tyrol
- Weekly card BusCard Merano & surroundings: Scena, Merano, Avelengo, Verano, San Genesio Atesino, Tirolo, Rifiano, Passeier Valley, Lana, Ulten Valley, Foiana, Fondo, Marlengo, Lagundo, Parcines, Naturno and Schnals valley. In addition all city lines inside Merano
- Mobilcard South Tyrol: all public transport in South Tyrol
Individual tickets and value cards can be purchased on the bus. Weekly bus tickets (BusCard Merano and surroundings), value cards and MobilCards are available at the tourist office.
or call the Traffic and Travel Information: Tel: +39 0471 200198
is a discount card, which gives you reductions on prices in a variety of museums, cable-cars, sports and leisure facilities, as well as events which are organised by the tourist office.The GuestCard is only available at member businesses of the Schenna, Meran, Dorf Tirol, Algund and Naturns Tourist Associations.
None. The BusCard is valid only on buses within the Merano & Environs area.
The number 221 bus runs up to Tirolo from the Merano Train Station and from along Via delle Corse (Rennweg) Road. There is also a chairlift that goes from the centre of Merano up to the outskirts of the village of Tirolo.
Bus lines 1B and 4 run to Trauttmansdorff from the train station and from along Corso Libertà (Freiheitsstraße) Street. A single bus ticket costs € 1.50 and can be purchased onboard: the ticket machine accepts only coins and does not give change.
Sorry, no pets are allowed inside the botanical gardens.
Merano 2000 is a ski and hiking area located above town, at an elevation of about 2,000 metres. www.meran2000.com
The Merano Grape Festival generally takes place the third weekend in October. The third Sunday of the month is always the main date to bear in mind. For more information, please visit the following link
Yes, the weekly market in Merano also takes place on holidays.
Individuals may not visit the Kurhaus building unless they attend an event that takes place inside.
Yes, the cinema is located at the Via delle Corse/Rennweg 25 (Galleria Ariston). For more information, please visit the following link
The Merano Christmas Market is open daily from the end of November until the beginning of January (excluding 25th December). Modifications reserved.
Ponte Romano (Steinerner Steg) Bridge, Gilf Promenade (continuation of the Passer Promenade), the stairs behind the Duomo (Parish Church of St. Nicholas), Via Galilei (Galilei-Straße) Road, the Schlehdorfweg Trail off of Via Verdi (Verdi-Straße) Road, and in Quarazze (Gratsch). For more information click here
- March: between 2 and 15 degrees C
- April: between 7 and 20 degrees C
- May: between 10 and 23 degrees C
- June: between 12 and 26 degrees C
- July: between 14 and 23 degrees C
- August: between 10 and 22 degrees C
- September: between 11 and 26 degrees C
- October: between 5 and 18 degrees C
- November: between -1 and 11 degrees C
- December: between -3 and 6 degrees C
- January: between -5 and 5 degrees C
- February: between -2 and 8 degrees C
Around South Tyrol there are the following airports, from which the Merano region can be reached in a short time:
- Innsbruck in the north (approx. 2,5 hours; 150 KM)
- Verona in the south (approx. 2,5 hours; 180 KM)
- Munich Airport: by train to Merano and Environs (approx. 4 hours; 330 KM)
- Airport Bergamo (approx. 3,5 hours; 270 KM)
- Treviso (approx. 3 hours; 230 KM)
- Venice (approx. 3 hours; 270 KM)
- Bologna (approx. 3 hours; 270 KM)
- Milan Malpensa (approx. 4 hours; 350 KM)
- Milan Linate (approx. 3,5 hours; 300 KM)