The St. Oswald Church is situated on 2,365 metres in the hiking and skiing area of Meran 2000.
In 1641, the farmers of Hafling/Avelengo swore to edify Oswald as the patron saint of cattle and grazing, by building a chapel at the foot of the mount Ifinger and processing there on his name-day festival. The old chapel existed for almost 250 years at the original site, until a new building was erected in 1879.
Even today, there is a procession to the chapel every 5th of August, which is St. Oswald’s Day, with an open-air mass and a related church holiday. Many of the devoted from the surrounding area flock up to services at the little mountain church and pray for nice weather and good health for the cattle, for which Oswald serves as patron saint.