The Merano Laubengasse (arcade alley) consists of two rows of houses with arcades, elegant bay windows and numerous archways, separated by a pedestrian passageway. Historically, these came into being as Water Arcades (the side on which the river flows) and the Mountain Arcades (closer to the mountains).
The arcades were built by Meinhard II, Count of Tyrol, in the 13th century and have been steadily developing in the center of town ever since. Merano is the first town in which the construction of an arcade was mentioned in a document (in 1322). The arcade alley begins at the square Pfarrplatz and ends after about 400 metres at the square Kornplatz. The façades from various stylistic periods are decorated with ornamental oriels and numerous archways. Until 1913, the Meran arcades were not interrupted by the Sparkassenstraße/Galileistraße intersection and were thus the longest arcades in Tyrol.
Today the boutiques, shops, cafés and restaurants make this street the most important shopping street in town. In this organic shopping center, you will find fashion boutiques, handicrafts, artworks and culinary specialties, as well as many cafés and restaurants.